Mercy Medical Center- Des Moines is a Catholic Health Initiatives member hospital, and aims to provide the highest level and quality of care to the communities it serves in Central Iowa. Mercy’s post graduate administrative fellowship program allows the hospital to seek and develop aspiring healthcare leaders while fostering an environment conducive to Mercy’s mission and core values. The fellowship seeks to attract highly motivated and qualified healthcare professionals to the organization and provide an unparalleled learning experience to prepare our fellows for future career success. Fellows are given the unique exposure of working for a market based organization that is a member of one of the largest not-for-profit health systems in the country. Mercy Medical Center is also part of Mercy Health Network, a joint operating agreement between Catholic Health Initiatives and Trinity Health that encompasses 12 owned hospitals, 26 affiliate hospitals, and 144 physician clinics in Iowa. The fellow will be based at Mercy’s main campus in downtown Des Moines, recently ranked #1 on Forbes list of America’s best cities for young professionals.
Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines is pleased to announce we will be welcoming a third fellow into our 24-month administrative fellowship program. The fellowship program was recently restructured into a two-year program so that fellows get wider exposure and more opportunities to explore their interests.
The first year of the fellowship will be a blend of rotations and project work, which allows our fellow to rotate within each administrative sector and hone their analytical, project management, and communication skills while working in a team based environment. The second year will generally focus on project work in an area in which our fellow has developed a specific interest. Nearing the end of the first year of the fellowship, our fellow and his/her preceptor will discuss what area the fellow is most interested in. This will allow our fellow to concentrate his/her work efforts to that specific department (options include, but are not limited to: human resources, finance, operations, and the patient experience).
Throughout the entirety of the fellowship, fellows work with a preceptor to align their project work with their personal goals and career interests. Senior leadership has fellows attend board, strategic planning, and clinical staff meetings to further their understanding of how individual departmental goals parallel one another in working to meet organizational goals and initiatives.
Qualified individuals for the Mercy Medical Center administrative fellowship include applicants who have recently completed graduate programs in health administration, public health, and business administration with a concentration in healthcare.
Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines is a proud member of National Council for Healthcare Leadership’s (NCHL) National Council of Administrative Fellowships (NCAF).
- Applications for the 2018-2019 administrative fellowship position will be submitted using the National Administrative Fellowship Centralized Application Service (NAFCAS).
- Applications may be submitted now until 11:59 p.m. on October 2nd, 2017.
- Telephone Interviews: October 17-19, 2017
- On-Site Interviews: During the week of November 6th, 2016
Using the NAFCAS portal, complete the requested question sets and upload the following required documents -- or submit all requested documents below in a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover Letter (Addressed to The Administrative Fellowship Selection Committee)
- Personal Statement (describing what stimulated your interest in healthcare, what your career goals are and how the fellowship will help accomplish those goals, and why you believe you would be a good fit for Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines)
- Three letters of recommendation (Three (3) Letters of Recommendation (to be requested in the "Supporting Information" quadrant): (1) ACADEMIC, (1) PROFESSIONAL, and (1) OTHER (academic, professional, or letter from your program director)
- The recommender will upload the recommendation letters directly to the NAFCAS portal as directed by the site.
- Official Graduate School Transcripts and Unofficial Undergraduate School Transcripts. Please upload undergraduate transcript in the “Other” section under documents.
*To be considered a valid applicant, all parts of the application must be submitted by the deadline, 11:59 pm on October 2rd, 2017. Incomplete or late applications will not be reviewed.