PGY2 Emergency Medicine Pharmacy Residency
The emergency medicine PGY2 residency program offered at Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines (MMC - DSM) is a twelve-month program designed to develop clinical practitioners capable of providing advanced pharmaceutical care for patients within the emergency environment. Graduates of the program are prepared to become fully integrated members of the interdisciplinary emergency medicine team and are empowered to treat and appropriately triage the most complex chronic and acute illnesses presented by emergency department patients. The residency program is accredited by ASHP.
Residents will spend a majority of the year practicing within the 56-bed Adult and Pediatric emergency department with various areas of focus. The program is individualized for each resident to meet their personal and professional goals.
- Emergency Medicine — I, II, III, IV
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Critical Care (Neuro/Trauma/Medical)
- Infectious disease
- Practice Management (longitudinal)
- Teaching opportunities, including attainment of a teaching certificate, didactic lectures, multi-disciplinary education and training, and precepting pharmacy students and PGY1 residents
- Participation in hospital committees including Pharmacy and Therapeutics, Sepsis Work Group, Stroke Support Group, Chest Pain Committee and Trauma Team
- Design and completion of a resident research project
- Staffing within the Emergency Department
- Certifications in BLS, ACLS, PALS, ATLS (Audit) and Hazmat
- National Conference Attendance
Application Deadline: January 1
Please refer to general Pharmacy Residency Application Process page for details.
All questions regarding the application process for the EM PGY2 program should be sent to corresponding program director.
Jessica Nesheim, PharmD, BCPS