As cases of influenza continue to increase throughout the state, we are asking visitors and family members to follow restrictions set in place to protect the health of patients, visitors and health care providers. These restrictions include:
- visitors are limited to two adults per patient;
- no siblings, sons, daughters or other related or unrelated children under the age of 18 are allowed in the Birthing, Mother/Baby and Neonatal Intensive Care Units;
- anyone showing influenza symptoms – fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, shortness of breath, fatigue, chills, muscle pain, headache, vomiting or diarrhea – will not be allowed to visit;
- anyone who has not had the influenza vaccination is required to wear a mask while visiting; and
- visitors will be asked to use sanitizing hand gel before entering and after exiting a patient room.
The visitation restrictions are temporary and will remain in effect at Mercy Medical Center–Des Moines and Mercy Medical Center–West Lakes until the influenza threat subsides.