- Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines is an 802-bed acute care, not-for-profit
Catholic hospital situated on three campuses.
- Mercy is Des Moines’ longest continually operating hospital, founded by the
Sisters of Mercy in 1893.
- Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines is the largest hospital in Iowa measured by total inpatient admissions. More than one in every 10 people admitted to an Iowa hospital go to Mercy.
- Mercy is one of the largest employers in the state, with more than 6,900
employees, and a medical staff of more than 1,000 physicians and allied
- Mercy is one of the Midwest’s largest referral centers, offering a variety of
specialty services unique to Iowa and the region.
- Mercy’s areas of excellence include cancer services, heart and vascular
services, diabetes and endocrinology, emergency medicine, medical imaging, birthing services, orthopedics and rehabilitation, pediatrics, weight loss and nutrition services and a wide array of specialty
and outpatient services.
- Mercy is accredited by The Joint Commission – a seal of approval that indicates Mercy meets strict performance standards, provides high quality patient care and demonstrates accountability in the rapidly changing field of health care.
- Mercy is a member of Mercy Health Network (a network of hospitals and
health care organizations created through a partnership between Catholic
Health Initiatives, headquartered in Englewood, Colo., and Trinity Health,
headquartered in Livonia, Mich.).
- Mercy provides services and support to a network of critical access hospitals
and health care facilities (Mercy Health Network – Central Iowa) in 20 central
Iowa communities, including Des Moines.
- Mercy provides a full range of outpatient health care services at its Urgent Care clinics, Quick Care clinics and more than 50 family practice and specialty clinics located throughout the Des Moines metro area and central Iowa.
- Mercy has 12 wholly-owned subsidiaries: Bishop Drumm Retirement
Center; House of Mercy; Mercy Auxiliary of Central Iowa; Mercy Cancer
Center Radiation Oncology; Mercy Clinics, Inc.; Mercy College of Health
Sciences; Mercy Foundation; Mercy Medical Center – Centerville; Mercy
North Ambulatory Surgery; Mercy Park Apartments; Mercy Professional
Practice Associates; and Perinatal Center of Iowa.
Select awards and accomplishments in Fiscal Year 2012
- The Delta Group, a national independent health care data organization, found Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines
to be in the top one percent of hospitals in the nation in overall quality for the second year in a row. In addition,
Mercy Medical Center earned a CareChex® 2012 Quality Award for being ranked first in the State of Iowa for Medical
Excellence in Pulmonary Care, Heart Failure Treatment and Pneumonia Care.
- For the 13th consecutive year, Mercy received the National Research Corporation’s Consumer Choice Award in fiscal
year 2012. In addition to being named the Best Hospital in Des Moines, Mercy was also recognized locally as having
the best image/reputation, the best doctors and the best nurses.
- U.S. News & World Report named Mercy the Best Hospital in the Des Moines metro. The designation came as a
result of Mercy’s being ranked as a “high-performing” hospital in three adult specialty areas: cancer, gynecology
- Des Moines’ Business Record named Mercy Medical Center as the “Best Workforce” in the city and Mercy
President & CEO Dave Vellinga as “Best CEO” for the third consecutive year. Dave was also named runner-up for
Best Metro Area Business Leader.
- Mercy is one of only five organizations in the United States to have achieved the Wellness Council of America’s
coveted Platinum Well Workplace award, the council’s highest honor.
- Mercy Medical Center’s Transplant Services department is the only transplant center in Iowa to receive a Gold
Award Medal of Honor from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources and Services
Administration (HRSA). This award signifies the many patient lives saved as a result of level of quality care provided
at Mercy’s transplant center.
For more information, send an email to Mercy Public Relations