- Mission & Values
- Mercy Momentum
- Mercy Leadership Team
- Mercy Fact Sheet
- Mercy Medical Center - West Lakes
- Mercy Facilities
- Mercy Affiliate Hospitals
- Mercy Quality Data
- Mercy ACO
- Mercy Events
- Maps, Directions & Parking
- Classes, Screenings & Tours
- Mercy Foundation
Awards and Honors
- In July, U.S. News & World Report named Mercy the Best Hospital in the Des Moines metro area for 2011-12. The designation came as a result of Mercy’s being recognized among the nation's highest performing hospitals in the areas of cancer, gynecology and nephrology.
- In August, Mercy's Variety Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) was awarded the 2011 Quality Improvement Award by Pediatrix Medical Group – an organization that employs neonatologists across the nation, including those at Mercy – for its dedication to premature and sick babies and its involvement in the 100,000 Babies Campaign (a three-year quality initiative that aims to improve the care provided to premature babies across the nation).
- Mercy Family Medicine Center was recognized by the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) for the successful completion of a Tobacco Cessation Office Champions pilot project. As one of only 50 family medicine clinics in the nation selected to participate in the study, Mercy Family Medicine Center spent the past year implementing a number of system changes to integrate tobacco cessation activities into daily office routines and assist patients quit smoking.
- Mercy was named a Blue Distinction Center for Spine SurgerySM by Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield for demonstrating excellent overall quality of care and patient results in spine surgery.
- In July, Mercy was re-designated as a Bariatric Center of Excellence by OptumHealthSM for clinical outcomes, quality and compliance with nationally recognized guidelines.
- In February, Mercy became one of only 200 hospitals nationwide and the only one in Iowa to be recognized by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners as an International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) Care Award Hospital. Mercy received the award by demonstrating it hires International Board-certified lactation consultants and offers a dedicated lactation support program.
- Mercy Clinics was approached by The Advisory Board Company to develop and market a physician office-based health coach (POHC) and medical home training program for heath systems across the country. The exclusive agreement recognizes Mercy Clinics for its innovative work with patients who have chronic diseases.
- Mercy and Iowa Heart Center were selected to participate as one of just 40 sites in the country – and the only site in Iowa – in a clinical trial to evaluate a revolutionary treatment for severe aortic stenosis, a common type of heart disease. The study evaluates the Medtronic CoreValve System® as a non-surgical, minimally invasive treatment option for severe aortic stenosis patients who cannot undergo open-heart surgery.
- Mercy was recognized for the excellent service physicians and staff provide in their Emergency Departments. Mercy's ED was recognized as performing in the nation's top 5 percent of hospitals with regard to providing care for 12 of the most common and life-threatening medical emergencies.
- In April, Mercy Medical Center – West Lakes was recognized by HealthStream Research for demonstrating "Overall Emergency Department Satisfaction for a Medium-Sized Hospital (100-249 beds)." As a result, it received the organization's 2010 Excellence Through Insight Award.
- Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines was recognized as a 2011 Gold Level Recipient of the American Heart Association’s Start! Fit-Friendly Companies Recognition program.
- Recipient of the American College of Cardiology Foundation’s NCDR ACTION Registry–GWTG Gold Performance Achievement Award for 2011 – one of only 167 hospitals nationwide to do so.
- Mercy was named a Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care by Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield for demonstrating excellent overall quality of care of patient results in cardiac care.
- Mercy Medical Center – West Lakes became Iowa's only CIGNA Certified Hospital for Bariatric Surgery in November 2010 after being fully approved by the Surgical Review Corporation and meeting or exceeding a set of stringent guidelines related to patient safety and re-admission rates.
- The National Cancer Institute (NCI), part of the National Institutes of Health, selected Mercy Cancer Center to join a national network of community cancer centers
offering expanded research opportunities and state-of-the-art cancer care. As a result, Mercy is Iowa's only participating site in the NCI Community Cancer Centers Program (NCCCP).
- For the 12th consecutive year, the National Research Corporation recognized Mercy as one of the nation’s top hospitals for quality and image with its 2010/11 Consumer Choice Award for the Des Moines metro area.
- As central Iowa’s first and only Primary Stroke Center, Mercy was recertified by The Joint Commission, earning the hospital another Gold Seal of Approval™.
- Mercy was named a “Gold Well Workplace Award” by the Wellness Council of America for the third consecutive year for its wide range of activities for employees designed to encourage healthier lifestyles.
- Mercy was the only Des Moines hospital to receive the American Heart Association’s 2010 Mission: Lifeline Bronze Performance Achievement Award for its commitment to and success in implementing a higher standard of care for heart attack patients.
- Mercy Medical Center – West Lakes became the first hospital in Iowa to receive LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification from the U.S.
Green Building Council, endorsing it as it one of the nation’s higher performing, environmentally friendly facilities.
- Mercy received United Healthcare’s highest recognition of “Three Stars and Higher Efficiency” for its excellence in cardiac specialty care for rhythm management, interventional cardiac care and cardiac surgery.
- Mercy was granted accreditation by the Intersocietal Committee for Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories in the areas of adult stress and adult transthoracic echocardiography for its commitment to high quality testing for the diagnosis of heart disease.
- Mercy was named one of the safest hospitals in the country by forbes.com, placing it among the top 5 percent of hospitals in the nation.
- Mercy Cancer Center received three-year accreditation as a community hospital comprehensive cancer program by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American
College of Surgeons (ACoS).
- The Des Moines branch of the NAACP honored Mercy with a Merit Employer of the Year Award for its demonstrated commitment to diversity.
- Mercy was designated as a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement by Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Iowa.
- Mercy was recognized for the fourth time as one the nation’s Top 100 Hospitals® for cardiovascular care, according to a study by Thomson Reuters – a leading news and information company.
- Data Advantage, LLC, named Mercy to the Top 100 Hospital: Best in Value Hospitals™ list, the first and only national study on U.S. hospitals and the value of care they provide.
- Mercy’s bariatric surgery program was designated a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
- Mercy was among 121 hospitals nationwide selected to receive the American College of Cardiology Foundation’s 2009 NCDR® ACTION Registry® – GWTG™ (Get With
The Guidelines) Gold Performance Achievement Award for its success in implementing a higher standard of care for patients with coronary artery disease.
- Mercy Medical Center was re-verified as a Level II Trauma Center per the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma.
* PDF documents require Adobe Reader.