Mercy Fact Sheet
- Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines is an 802-bed acute care, not-for-profit Catholic hospital situated on three campuses.
- Mercy is Des Moines’ longest continually operating hospital, founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1893.
- Mercy is one of the largest employers in the state, with nearly 6,900 employees. 200 allied health professionals and a medical staff of more than 800 physicians.
- Mercy is one of the Midwest’s largest referral centers, offering a variety of specialty services that are unique to Iowa and the region.
- Mercy’s areas of excellence include cancer services, heart and vascular services, diabetes and endocrinology, emergency medicine, medical imaging, birthing services, brain and spine services, orthopaedics and rehabilitation, pediatrics, weight loss and nutrition services and a wide array of specialty and outpatient services.
- Mercy is part of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI), a national nonprofit health organization with headquarters in Englewood, Colo. The faith-based system operates in 19 states and includes 73 hospitals; 40 long-term care, assisted- and residential-living facilities; two community health services organizations; and home health agencies. With annual revenues of approximately $9 billion, CHI is the nation's third-largest Catholic health care system.
- Mercy is also a member of Mercy Health Network (an integrated system of five major medical centers across the state of Iowa created through a partnership between Catholic Health Initiatives and Trinity Health, headquartered in Novi, Mich.).
- Mercy is accredited by The Joint Commission – a seal of approval that indicates Mercy meets strict performance standards, provides high quality patient care and demonstrates accountability in the rapidly changing field of health care.
- Mercy provides services and support to a network of critical access hospitals and health care facilities (Mercy Health Network – Central Iowa) in 20 central Iowa communities, including Des Moines.
- Mercy provides a full range of outpatient health care services at its Urgent Care clinics, Quick Care clinics and more than 50 family practice and specialty clinics located throughout the Des Moines metro area and central Iowa.
- Mercy has 13 wholly-owned subsidiaries: Bishop Drumm Retirement Center; Central Iowa CyberKnife; House of Mercy; Mercy Auxiliary of Central Iowa; Mercy Cancer Center Radiation Oncology; Mercy Clinics, Inc.; Mercy College of Health Sciences; Mercy Foundation; Mercy Medical Center – Centerville; Mercy North Ambulatory Surgery; Mercy Park Apartments; Mercy Professional Practice Associates; and Perinatal Center of Iowa.
For more information, send an e-mail to Mercy Public Relations