The Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) provides an intense, structured, group setting for treatment of individuals who have difficulty maintaining their daily routines or who would otherwise require inpatient psychiatric treatment. A thorough assessment can be completed to determine if PHP is the appropriate level of care. PHP can be an entry point from outpatient treatment to stabilize symptoms, or as a transition from inpatient treatment.
A good candidate for the PHP program has:
- An acute psychiatric disorder BUT is not at imminent risk for suicide or harm to others
- The capacity to fully participate
- A reasonable expectation of improvement
- Transportation to and from the program daily
The program runs five days a week, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., with an hour for lunch. The average length of the program for each patient is 4 to 6 days. Each patient will be seen and evaluated by a psychiatrist and medications will be prescribed if indicated.
Patients can expect the following to occur each day:
- Orientation for new participants
- A group meeting to develop and review the daily schedule
- Review of progress in treatment goals
- Address concerns or challenges in meeting goals
- Help improve coping skills, stress management, problem solving
- Improve self-esteem
- Develop more effective communication skills
- Education about diagnosis, medications, symptom management
Coordination of Care
During treatment, staff will assist in developing discharge plans that will include follow up treatment and aftercare.
Access to Treatment
To access treatment, call the Help-center at (515) 271-6111 to make an appointment for an assessment.