What is Gynecologic Oncology?
Gynecologic Oncologists are fully-trained obstetrician/gynecologists who successfully complete an additional three to four years of intensive training in all aspects of gynecologic cancer care. They understand the pathology and biology of reproductive-tract cancers, and have the expertise to provide comprehensive treatment including surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, symptom management and supportive care.
Mercy Medical Center’s Gynecologic Oncology Service is uniquely positioned to provide patients with a broad depth of expertise.
Dr. Deb Turner leads the team with 41 years of combined experience in the field of gynecologic oncology. Dr. Carl Christie is a robotically-trained gynecologic oncologist. Both providers are board certified for obstetrics and gynecology.
Patients have access to the most advanced treatment options including surgery, chemotherapy as well as coordination of radiation or palliative care as needed. Minimally invasive (laparoscopic) procedures are also available.
Our Mercy Cancer Center Gynecologic Oncology Team
Our Commitment to You
Every woman is at risk for developing gynecologic cancer. At Mercy Cancer Center Gynecologic Oncology, our goal is to be sure that each patient is given the best chance for a positive outcome. To this end, we constantly strive to raise our standards of practice in the treatment of these diseases and work directly with the Mercy Cancer Center team to promote the highest level of comprehensive, coordinated care for women’s cancers of the reproductive tract. Our gynecologic oncologists provide specialized care and treatment for even the most difficult cases including:
• Cervical cancer
• Endometrial cancer
• Ovarian cancer
• Vaginal cancer
• Vulvar cancer
• Gestational trophoblastic disease
• Pre-invasive disorders of the cervix and vulva
We use many treatment methods for gynecologic cancers, including:
Working as a Team to Serve You Better
• We coordinate care with Mercy Cancer Center Radiation Oncology for our patients requiring radiation therapy. We also provide monthly clinics where patients receiving chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy can be seen by both physicians at the same time to coordinate their care.
• At Mercy Cancer Center Gynecologic Oncology, we work with your personal physician and health care providers to keep the lines of communication open and provide the best care possible.
• When inpatient care is needed, we also collaborate with oncology nursing staff to assure you receive the level of care you require.
• Our patients have all of the services of Mercy Cancer Center to support them, including the Resource Center and Library, nutritional counseling, genetic counseling, support groups, therapies and more.