Surgical oncologists at Mercy Surgical Affiliates provide state-of-the-art surgical care for patients with cancer. Our surgeons partner with medical and radiation oncologists to provide evaluation and therapy for patients with primary, advanced and recurrent cancer disease.
The surgical oncologists work with Mercy Cancer Center staff and departments to provide specialized care and focus in:
- Pancreatic cancer
- Liver cancer & liver metastases
- Cancers of esophagus, stomach and intestine
- Colorectal cancer
- Endocrine tumors
- Breast cancer through Mercy’s Katzmann Breast Center
- Rare and unusual tumors
Our surgeons use the most advanced techniques and procedures to provide optimal care for our patients. Our surgical oncologists are the only surgeons in Iowa to provide some techniques, such as Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC).
- Liver procedures:
- Radio Frequency Ablation
- Intraoperative liver ultrasound provides unparalleled precision
- Laparoscopic and classical open operations
- Transarterial Arterial Chemotherapy with Embolization (TACE) for liver tumors
- Pancreatic resections
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Complex resection for sarcoma (limb, abdomen, chest wall)
- Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) for certain abdominal cancers
- CyberKnife therapy planning in conjunction with Mercy Cancer Center Radiation Oncology
DEDICATED TO FINDING NEW TREATMENTS AND THERAPIES
Mercy Surgical Affiliates is an active partner with the Iowa Center for Translational and Clinical Research (ICTCR) and North Central Cancer Treatment Group (NCCTG, Mayo Clinic). Partnering with these organizations allows us to fulfill our mission to develop new treatments and therapies for cancer. Patients who are interested in clinical trials or research therapies are encouraged to participate confidentially if they meet the study criteria.