Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Mercy Medical Center. Due to the sensitive nature of situations encountered in a hospital setting, Mercy has implemented an extensive screening process which includes, but is not limited to:
- Attending an hour-long informational session to learn more about the application process, hear about opportunities and receive materials.
- Completing a background check, interview, health review and orientations.
- Being at least 16 years old.
- Committing to a regular shift for a minimum of six months.
- Reading the Guide to Becoming a Mercy Volunteer.
New - November 2017:
- Currently in need of newborn purple knit hats
New - October 2017:
- Currently there are no openings for volunteering at the NICU
- Currently there are no openings for High School Students. Please continue to watch for additional information regarding the Summer Youth Volunteer Program 2018. More information is forthcoming March 2018.
Volunteer Informational Sessions
Informational sessions are held at either Mercy Medical Center at 1111 6th Avenue in Des Moines or West Lakes at 1755 59th Place in West Des Moines.
- Des Moines – Jan. 10, 1-2 p.m. at Mercy Medical Center in East Tower Conference Room 1
- West Des Moines – Jan. 25, 12-1 p.m. at West Lakes in Cownie Conference Room
- Des Moines – Feb. 19, 11-12 p.m. at Mercy Medical Center, East Tower Conference Room 1
- West Des Moines – March 1, 1-2 p.m. at West Lakes in Cownie Conference Room
To register, please call (515) 247-3246 or email@example.com
Volunteering at Mercy Hospice does not require attendance at an informational session or completing the standard process. If you are interested in volunteering at Mercy Hospice, please contact (515) 643-6150.
Make Donations To Mercy
Are you interested in helping our patients but are unable to make the commitment required to become a Mercy volunteer? Mercy is fortunate to receive donations which make a real difference for patients and their families. Here is a wish list of items for your consideration:
- Blankets (new fleece blankets only.) We cannot accept pillows, sheets or other types of blankets
- Make a no-sew fleece blanket (click here for easy instructions)
- Hard Candy
- Homemade cards to distribute to our patients. Greetings like "Wishing you well" or "Thinking of you" are appropriate and various holiday cards are always a hit
- CD players with headphones -- include inspirational or soothing music
- Lip balm
- Coloring books and crayons
- Electronic games of Scrabble, Yatzee, etc. (inexpensive, hand-held with batteries)
- Holy cards
- Inspirational literature
- Kids' games -- UNO, Go Fish etc.
- Playing cards
- Prayer books
- Puzzles -- small puzzles, word search puzzles and crosswords
- Religious medals
- Small notebooks
- Travel-size lotions
Additional considerations: For infection control reasons, all items must be new, unwrapped and free of odors. Food items must be individually-wrapped and, because of food allergies, no items with nuts can be accepted. Mercy Medical Center has a "no solicitation" policy so please do not include any promotional materials with your donation