Mercy Des Moines Medical Center volunteers are an important member of the Mercy family.
Read The Guide to Becoming A Volunteer
They assist us in providing outstanding and personalized care for our patients, families, visitors and staff. This unique opportunity to help assist others in a hospital setting, allows our volunteers to make a difference in the lives of those we serve.
The Volunteer Services Office is committed to recruiting and training long-term volunteers who would like to share their skills and talents with patients and staff.
To become a volunteer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application. Volunteers are required to complete an application, background check, interview and health screening prior to their first shift. Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older and we ask for a minimum of a six-month commitment.
Volunteering at Mercy Hospice does not require attendance at an informational session. If you are interested in volunteering at Mercy Hospice, please contact (515) 643-6150.
Make Donations To Mercy
Are you interested in helping our patients but are unable to make the commitment required to become a Mercy volunteer? Mercy is fortunate to receive donations which make a real difference for patients and their families. Here is a wish list of items for your consideration:
- Blankets (new fleece blankets only.) We cannot accept pillows, sheets or other types of blankets
- Make a no-sew fleece blanket (click here for easy instructions)
- Hard Candy
- Homemade cards to distribute to our patients. Greetings like "Wishing you well" or "Thinking of you" are appropriate and various holiday cards are always a hit
- CD players with headphones -- include inspirational or soothing music
- Lip balm
- Coloring books and crayons
- Electronic games of Scrabble, Yatzee, etc. (inexpensive, hand-held with batteries)
- Holy cards
- Inspirational literature
- Kids' games -- UNO, Go Fish etc.
- Playing cards
- Prayer books
- Puzzles -- small puzzles, word search puzzles and crosswords
- Religious medals
- Small notebooks
- Travel-size lotions
Additional considerations: For infection control reasons, all items must be new, unwrapped and free of odors. Food items must be individually-wrapped and, because of food allergies, no items with nuts can be accepted. Mercy Medical Center has a "no solicitation" policy so please do not include any promotional materials with your donation