Mercy Medical Center – West Lakes Emergency Department is the first hospital in central Iowa to provide senior-friendly care for older patients, in addition to the quality emergency care provided to patients of all ages.
When older patients present in the Mercy West Lakes Emergency Department, they are assessed to determine what special needs they require during their visit, including a fall risk assessment. Mercy West Lakes Emergency Department has required all nursing staff to receive Geriatric Emergency Nursing Education (GENE) training.
Older adult patients treated in the emergency department at Mercy West Lakes will find a comfortable environment during a stressful time. The emergency department has added the following amenities for older patients:
- Private patient treatment rooms
- Non-skid/non-glare floors for easier walking
- An extra thick pressure-reducing mattress for comfortable rest and to minimize risk of an ulcer
- Clocks with large numbers for easy readability
- Portable amplifiers for hearing assistance
- Reading glasses and magnifying glasses
- Bedside commodes with rails
- Natural lighting
- Walker and other ambulation aids
- Large call light buttons