- Mercy Nurse
- Symptom Navigator
- Levitt Medical Library
- Health Information
- Body Guide
- Multimedia Encyclopedia
- In-Depth Health Reports
- Complementary & Alternative Medicine
- Drug Information Center
- Drug Interactions
- Wellness Tools
- Today's Medical News
- Pregnancy Health Center
- Recursos EspaÃ±oles De la Salud
- Enciclopedia Multimedia
- Centro de Information sobre el Embarazo
Hair - oily
Here are some tips for preventing and treating oily hair:
- Shampoo your hair every day. Leaving the shampoo on your head for at least 5 minutes before rinsing may help.
- Avoid brushing your hair too often or too vigorously, since the brushing will carry oil from your scalp to the ends of your hair.
Hormones affect oil production. Things that affect your hormone levels (such as stress or birth control pills) may also affect the oiliness of your hair.
Habif TM. Hair diseases. . In: Habif TP, ed. Clinical Dermatology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2009:chap 24.
Reviewed By: Linda J. Vorvick, MD, Medical Director and Director of Didactic Curriculum, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, Department of Family Medicine, UW Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Washington. Also reviewed by A.D.A.M. Health Solutions, Ebix, Inc., Editorial Team: David Zieve, MD, MHA, David R. Eltz, Stephanie Slon, and Nissi Wang.