- Mercy Nurse
- Symptom Navigator
- Levitt Medical Library
- Health Information
- Body Guide
- Multimedia Encyclopedia
- In-Depth Health Reports
- Complementary & Alternative Medicine
- Drug Information Center
- Drug Interactions
- Wellness Tools
- Today's Medical News
- Pregnancy Health Center
- Recursos EspaÃ±oles De la Salud
- Enciclopedia Multimedia
- Centro de Information sobre el Embarazo
Fluoride is a chemical commonly used to prevent tooth decay. Fluoride overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally takes more than the normal or recommended amount of this substance.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
See also: Fluoride in diet
Fluoride is found in many over-the-counter and prescription products, including:
- Certain mouthwashes and toothpastes
- Certain vitamins (Tri-Vi-Flor, Poly-Vi-Flor, Vi-Daylin F)
- Fluoridated water
- Sodium fluoride liquid and tablets
Fluoride may also be found in other household items, including
- Etching cream
- Roach powders
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient's age, weight, and condition (for example, is the person awake or alert?)
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
However, do NOT delay calling for help if this information is not immediately available.
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to Expect at the Emergency Room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
- Calcium or milk
- Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage)
How well a patient does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment was received. The faster a patient gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
The amount of fluoride found in toothpaste is usually not swallowed in large enough amounts to cause harm.
Scalzo AJ, Blume-Odom CM. Hydrofluoric acid and other fluorides. In: Shannon MW, Borron SW, Burns MJ, eds. Haddad and Winchester's Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 90.
Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, St. Luke's / Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY, NY, and Pegasus Emergency Group (Meadowlands and Hunterdon Medical Centers), NJ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.