Many of the symptoms of heart failure are associated with the congestion that develops as fluid backs up into the lungs and leaks into the tissues. Other symptoms occur because not enough oxygen-rich blood gets to the body.
If you experience any of these symptoms, tell your doctor immediately.
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Difficulty breathing during daily activity or when lying flat
- Swelling in your feet, ankles, legs, fingers or belly
- Weight gain; three to five pounds over 24 hours
- Increased urination at night and decreased urination during the day
Go to the emergency room or call 911 if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Sudden or severe chest pain
- Severe shortness of breath
- Unexplained sweating or weakness
- Trouble talking
- Weak legs or arms