Innovation is defined as the application of better solutions that meet new requirements, unarticulated needs, or existing market needs. The Mercy Innovation Center provides access to tools and expertise that aid in the discovery of better solutions for our patients & guests, physicians, staff and hopefully the entire health care system.
SUBMIT YOUR IDEA: (515) 643-2062 | email@example.com
Established in February 2014, the Mercy Innovation Center (MIC) was developed to support the transformation of the health care system by redesigning our delivery model and enhancing the Mercy Experience. MIC serves to strengthen the already lively culture of innovation that exists at Mercy and to accelerate the creative process. We provide members of the Mercy Family access to resources and expertise that include:
- Observation opportunities
- Creative spaces for ideation
- Engineering services for prototyping
- Simulation environments / Simulation labs
- Project piloting
- Business plan development
- Process improvement/redesign
MIC operating principle is simple – no idea is too big or too small, as long as it adds value to those we serve.
The purpose of the Mercy Innovation Center (MIC) is to support our colleagues and partners in transforming the delivery and experience of health care, whether here in Iowa or around the world.
No idea is too big or too small, as long as it adds value to those we serve.
Mercy will be nationally recognized for our Culture of Innovation.
- Focus on innovations that enhance the Mercy Experience for our patients.
- Ask and listen to our patients and guests
- Support high tech and high touch ideas
- Provide access to Mercy, everywhere and all the time.
- Collaborate – internally and externally, across industries
- Redesign the delivery of health care to increase the value
- Assist in process or product ideation
- Leverage the use of information technology
- Start small – pilot ideas
Innovation Advisory Committee lead by Sam Schone. The Mercy Innovation Advisory Committee assists in promoting innovation, exploring ideas and leading project teams.
History of Innovation
While the Mercy Innovation Center (MIC) was established in 2014, innovation at Mercy started long ago. Our organization was built on innovation, starting when the Sisters of Mercy founded Mercy Medical Center in 1893. Being the oldest continually operating hospital is Des Moines, Mercy has continuously innovated to remain competitive and to better serve Central Iowa and beyond.
Over the past 120+ years, we have forged ahead with remarkable innovations, such as:
- First hospital in Des Moines to employee physicians
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS)
- daVinci Robotics
- Healthy Living Center
- Mercy Health Network
- Residency Programs
- Room Service
- Mass Broadcast to Patient Rooms
- All Single Patient Rooms
- BeWell Network
We recognize we need to innovate on our past accomplishments to continue building on our promise of Excellence, Every Day in Every Way. Innovation is occurring at faster pace than ever before. MIC accelerates innovation by promoting creativity in problem solving, applying resources and measuring results to find the best way to accomplish our goals and better serve our community.