Residents in the Mercy Internal Medicine Residency Program receive medical training at Mercy Medical Center-Des Moines.
View Mercy Internal Medicine Residency Program Brochure.
To equip residents with exceptional expertise in primary care medicine, the Mercy Internal Medicine Residency's focus is to educate physicians in the art, science, and skills necessary in the practice of Internal Medicine.
This assures that each Internal Medicine resident is provided and receives:
- A curriculum covering all medical specialties and subspecialties
- Enhanced education facilitated through coordinated educational efforts and routine sharing of knowledge
- The opportunity to choose electives, which are arranged with each individual resident
- The knowledge and skills to provide comprehensive, cost-effective health care to their patients and families regardless of diagnosis, sex, age or other factors
- The ability to incorporate disease prevention and health maintenance into the care of their patients
- Assistance and training to effectively coordinate all health care services received by patients and their families
- Access and knowledge of community resources
The faculty, staff, attending physicians and hospital personnel are dedicated to producing a physician that will be ready to provide comprehensive, continuous, coordinated and community-oriented health care in General Internal Medicine or to continue training in a subspecialty of Internal Medicine.
Throughout your residency, you will work closely with highly-skilled medical specialists, primarily at Mercy Medical Center. The Mercy Internal Medicine Residency Program includes:
- A concentrated study of all disciplines that contribute to the practice of internal medicine including: behavioral health, cardiology, critical care, endocrinology, geriatrics, GI, hematology/oncology, infectious disease, nephrology, neurology, pulmonology and rheumatology.
- Extensive procedural training in the inpatient as well as in the outpatient setting
- Direct, hands-on experiences that equip residents to provide high-quality patient care in an evolving health care environment
- Residents work one-on-one with faculty during clinical rotations and in the outpatient setting
- Opportunity to take part in research with highly skilled faculty and mentors with the ability to present at local, regional, and national scientific assemblies
Because Mercy is a regional, tertiary care hospital, you will be involved in caring for complex medical cases. As a resident, you will develop close working relationships with physicians and staff from many specialty areas.
Opportunities After Residency
Mercy operates Iowa’s most extensive primary care practice system and is a member of Mercy Health Network (MHN). This strong network is comprised of 11 owned hospitals, 26 affiliated or managed hospitals and 142 physician clinics. This provides opportunities for graduates to pursue their desired avenues in internal medicine — from practicing with an established hospital or clinic to launching a practice in an urban or rural environment.