The Iowa Liver Center unites the expertise of the University of Iowa Organ Transplant Center, based in Iowa City (UIOTC); the Iowa Digestive Disease Center (IDDC), based in Clive; and Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines (Mercy), including its affiliated clinics and subsidiaries. The unique team approach provides comprehensive care to people with decompensated liver disease and neoplasms of the liver and bile duct.
Services and Benefits to Patients
ILC offers a full range of well-coordinated diagnostic, treatment and support services to those with liver disease – delivering outstanding patient care close to home. Benefits to patients include:
- Enhanced care coordination and integration
- A patient-centered experience
- Broader, more comprehensive services – including the most advanced treatments available anywhere
- Convenient access in the Des Moines/central Iowa area
- Quality outcomes
- Collaboration among a team of recognized experts, dedicated to providing the best possible outcomes.
In addition to improved patient care processes, specific initiatives to be undertaken by the participants in the Iowa Liver Center include:
- shared programs, seminars and other continuing education related to liver disease for specialists and primary care physicians; and
- coordinated quality management, reporting, and certification programs
In addition to offering comprehensive services for patients with liver disease, the center’s goals include:
- Using the shared expertise and resources of the participating organizations to ensure the most advanced treatments and services are available;
- Meeting the needs of patients with a full and well-coordinated continuum of care, including the sophisticated and complex care requirements, such as liver transplants; and
- Assuring outstanding quality, excellent services and cost-efficiencies through highly effective care coordination among the physicians, nurses and others caring for these individuals.
About Iowa Liver Center
The Iowa Liver Center (ILC) is a collaboration among the University of Iowa Organ Transplant Center, based in Iowa City (UIOTC); the Iowa Digestive Disease Center (IDDC), based in Clive; and Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines (Mercy), including its affiliated clinics and subsidiaries. ILC is an initiative of the University of Iowa Health Alliance (UIHA), which seeks to advance high quality health care services; improve the health status of patients and communities; develop educational programs for health care providers, patients and consumers; and collaborate in research. UIHA members include Genesis Health System, Mercy – Cedar Rapids, Mercy Health Network and University of Iowa Health Care. Combined, the Alliance includes over 50 hospitals and more than 160 clinics.
Physicians see patients at two convenient locations in the Des Moines-area:
411 Laurel Street, Suite 2340
Des Moines, IA 50314
(adjacent to Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines)
Your care team:
The Iowa Liver Center brings together expert digestive disease physicians, transplant surgeons and other professionals from Iowa’s three leading organizations in this field to create a streamlined and well-defined process of care. Learn more about Iowa Liver Center physicians by clicking on the following links:
For More Information:
Clifton Digestive Disease Center
“The creation of the Iowa Liver Center allows clinical professionals to share comparative data, and to use it to reduce unnecessary variation, streamline care and improve patient outcomes.”
– David H. Vellinga, President & CEO, Mercy Health Network