- Frederick and Ann Katzmann Breast Center Overview
- About Breast Cancer
- Treatment Planning
- Meet the Medical Director
- Katzmann Breast Center Surgeons
- Nurse Practitioner
- Breast Health Navigator
- Lymphedema Therapy
- Breast Cancer Awareness
- Breast Cancer Symposium
- Community Outreach
- Helpful Links
Susan Beck, DO, FACOS
Katzmann Breast Center at Mercy
Dr. Beck has been with Katzmann Breast Center since 2000 and was named medical director in 2007.
- Bachelor’s degree, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 1980
- Medical degree, University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences (now Des Moines University), 1984
- Rotating internship, Des Moines General Hospital, 1985
- Residency, General Surgery, Des Moines General Hospital, 1989
- Board certified by the American Board of Osteopathic Surgery, NBOME, 1991
- Re-certification NBOME, 2001
- Breast Ultrasound Training, 2005, with certification (ASBS), 2009
- Oncoplastic Breast Surgery, Advanced training in minimally-invasive techniques in breast surgery, 2006 to current
- IORA NSABP Trials, Sentinal Node
- NSABP 39 MammoSite, 2009 - current
- Proteomic Analysis of Tumor Tissues, joint project of Mercy Medical Center, the University of Iowa and Des Moines University, January 2009 - current
Dr. Beck has an extensive clinical and leadership background. She currently serves as Chair of the Department of Surgery at Des Moines University. Her focus in clinical practice is currently breast surgery, with a history of practice in minimally-invasive general and bariatric surgery through Surgical Affiliates, Mercy Clinics, Inc.
Other areas of interest are women’s health, global health and surgical education.
Dr. Beck is a member of the American Society of Breast Surgeons since 1999; is a Board Member of the Des Moines Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure; and is a member of the American College of Osteopathic Surgeons.
In her spare time, Dr. Beck likes to play golf, explore many artistic venues and spend time with family.