Susan Beck, DO, FACOS
Katzmann Breast Center at Mercy
Dr. Beck has been with Katzmann Breast Center since 2000 and was named medical director in 2007.
- Bachelor’s degree, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 1980
- Medical degree, University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences (now Des Moines University), 1984
- Rotating internship, Des Moines General Hospital, 1985
- Residency, General Surgery, Des Moines General Hospital, 1989
- Board certified by the American Board of Osteopathic Surgery, NBOME, 1991
- Re-certification NBOME, 2001, 2011
- Breast Ultrasound Training, with certification (American Society of Breast Surgeons), 2009, recertified in 2014
- Oncoplastic Breast Surgery, Advanced training in minimally-invasive techniques in breast surgery, 2006 to current
- IORA NSABP Trials, Sentinal Node
- NSABP 39 MammoSite, 2009 - current
- Proteomic Analysis of Tumor Tissues, joint project of Mercy Medical Center, the University of Iowa and Des Moines University, January 2009 - current
She has served in many leadership roles at Mercy Medical Center, Des Moines University, Susan G. Komen and Innervisions Health Center.
Other areas of interest are women’s health, global health and surgical education.
Dr. Beck is a member of the American Society of Breast Surgeons since 1999, and is a member of the American College of Osteopathic Surgeons and has been awarded Fellow.
Recent accomplishments have been the development of an I 125 seed localization program that started in 2010, and receiving National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) in 2014.
In her spare time, Dr. Beck is working toward a Master's in Public Health and participates in global medical missions.