Interventional radiology is a rapidly growing area of medicine. Interventional radiologists are physicians who specialize in minimally invasive, specialized or targeted treatments performed using imaging guidance. The procedures are generally easier on the patient as they are minimally invasive. Most of the time, IR is less costly than surgical procedures and reduces recovery time or length of stay.
Some of the procedures that are performed in the Interventional Radiology lab:
- Angiography and balloon angioplasty
- Central venous access
- Gastrostomy tube placement
- Hemodialysis access maintenance
- Needle biopsy
- Nephrostomy tube placement
- Uterine fibroid embolization
* PDF documents require Adobe Reader.