- Michael Carlisle, MD specializes in all aspects of plastic, reconstructive, and cosmetic surgery. After receiving his medical degree, Dr. Carlisle completed 8 years of unique and exceptional surgical training. His training coupled with his experience has shaped a plastic surgeon with unparalleled understanding, skill, and patient care. He continues to receive excellent reviews by satisfied patients in Des Moines and those who come from far away for revision surgeries.
- His training in Ear, Nose, Throat (Otolaryngology)/Facial Plastic Surgery laid the foundation for the advanced treatment of the face, eyes, nose, ear, scalp and neck. He then went on to a second residency in Plastic Surgery at the world class Cleveland Clinic where he continued to enhance his skills in plastic surgery of the face, and added unique expertise in breast, body, and cosmetic surgery.
- Dr. Carlisle was part of the cutting-edge Face Transplant performed at the Cleveland Clinic in September 2014 and he has authored several scientific papers on plastic surgery topics.
- Because of his expertise, Dr. Carlisle offers techniques that are not available everywhere.
Dr. Carlisle received RealSelf "Top 100" plastic surgeons award for 2017
View Dr. Carlisle's ratings on HealthGrades
* Learn what separates physicians who are ABMS certified and why “Certification Matters,” below
Interests and Specialized Care
Nose Surgery (Rhinoplasty)
- Advanced treatment of the nose
- Dr. Carlisle learned safe, cutting-edge, and precision cosmetic surgery with world experts at the Cleveland Clinic Cosmetic Surgery Center. Before that, he spent five years training with specialty-leaders in Facial Plastic Surgery.
- In Des Moines, Dr. Carlisle has enjoyed hearing patients vision and concerns, educating and helping patients chose the best option, and receiving excellent surgical reviews
- Although Dr. Carlisle performs all types of cosmetic surgery, some unique areas of skill and interest include…
- Tummy tuck (Abdominoplasty)
- Low-scar technique with cutting-edge scar therapy
- Mommy Makeover
- Breast Augmentation
- Customized augmentation
- All implant types – Gummy bear and shaped silicone implants, round silicone and saline implants
- Above or below pectoralis muscle
- Nose surgery (rhinoplasty)
- Breast lift (Mastopexy)
- Breast lift + Implant
- Body Contouring after weight loss
- Dr. Carlisle enjoys celebrating and partnering with patients that are troubled by excessive skin of the face, neck, arms, breasts, and abdomen after weight loss. He will visit with you, hear your concerns, and help you select the best surgical options for you as you complete your weight-loss journey.
- Facial rejuvenation – Facelift, eyelid surgery, brow lift, Botox ®, Facial fillers (Juvederm)
- Dr. Carlisle learned from one of the top 10 facelift and facial rejuvenation surgeons in the world
- Botox ®
- Facial fillers
- Chemical peel – unique medium and deep chemical peels in Des Moines
Breast Cancer Reconstruction
- Dr. Carlisle has provided reconstruction and revised previous reconstructions throughout Iowa and beyond
- Dr. Carlisle uses traditional methods as well as cutting-edge methods, which include…
- Pre-pectoral implant reconstruction
- This new and proven method places the implant ABOVE the pectoralis major muscle. Traditional methods place it below the muscle, which leads to animation deformity (dramatic breast movement while flexing the pectoralis muscle). Not all patients are candidates.
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy (NSM) reconstruction
- Dr. Carlisle has taken some patients who are traditionally NOT candidates for NSM and made them candidates by performing a nipple lift at the time of mastectomy. There are two reasons a patient is not a candidate for NSM: 1) Cancer location/type, and 2) Amount of breast droop (ptosis). Some patients who would traditionally be excluded from NSM because of droopiness, Dr. Carlisle has performed nipple-lift at the time of mastectomy and completed NSM reconstruction.
- Direct to Implant (DTI) reconstruction
- A majority of patients get two-stages of surgery to get their breast implants for breast reconstruction: 1) Tissue expander at first stage, and 2) Breast implant at the second stage. Some patients are candidates for single-stage, direct-to-implant reconstruction.
- DIEP flap breast reconstruction
- Some patients are candidates for this reconstruction using their own abdominal tissue to build a breast
- Dr. Carlisle sees patients who come from beyond Des Moines to exchange their implants to a DIEP flap reconstruction
- Breast reduction
- Breast reduction surgery for men (Gynecomastia)
- Male-specific cosmetic surgery
- General reconstructive surgery
The ABMS and Why "Certification Matters"
- The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) is made up of only 24 specialty member boards and holds its members to uncompromising professional standards.
- The Starmark logo means your physician has been held to the ABMS standards of certification and lifelong learning in their fields
- Both the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology are member boards of the ABMS
- A Statement from the ABMS
- “When you or a family member needs health care or medical treatment, you want a highly qualified doctor dedicated to providing outstanding care. When you choose a doctor who is Board Certified by one of the ABMS Member Boards, you can be confident he or she meets nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge, experience and skills to provide high quality care in a specific medical specialty. ABMS is nationally recognized for the high standards our Member Boards set to certify doctors in various medical specialties. And to make sure Board Certified doctors continuously refresh and expand their knowledge, our Member Boards have also established the ABMS Maintenance of Certification® program for career-long self-assessment, learning and improvement activities.”
- Learn more at http://www.certificationmatters.org
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Residency
Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery (Ear, Nose, Throat) Residency
University of Kansas Medical Center