The Mercy Psychiatry Residency program is a four year program with four residents in each postgraduate level. The faculty and staff are dedicated to producing graduates who will be ready to provide comprehensive, continuous, coordinated, and community health care in the inpatient as well as the
outpatient setting. Residents rotate through a variety of services including inpatient and outpatient psychiatry, neurology, internal medicine, geropsychiatry, emergency psychiatry, child and adolescent, chemical dependency,consultation, and community psychiatry. Mercy Medical Center is an 802 bed medical center, located on two campuses. Mercy boasts brand new renovated psychiatric units for children and adults that opened in 2014.
- Inpatient training provided by hospitalists and other specialists
- Teaching opportunites for residents at Des Moines University, the local medical school
- A close working relationship with many physicians, staff, and ancillary services
- On-going comprehensive didactic curriculum that incorporates case-based learning, evidence-based medicine, and basic medical science. There are regularly scheduled lectures that include psychopharmacology, case conferences, quality
improvement seminars, specialty-specific lecture series, multidisciplinary conferences, board review, Journal Club, and Business of Medicine
- Experienced Psychiatric faculty that are compassionate and dedicated to the residents
The program emphasis is not only on providing you a superb education, but developing you as a strong physician and professional. Upon graduation from this program, residents will be ready to provide comprehensive, continuous, coordinated and community health care in a variety of settings. We invite you to come visit our program and to explore the great opportunities available in the Mercy Psychiatry Residency Program. Please do not hesitate to contact us with further questions.