The Spirit of Mercy award recognizes the outstanding efforts of Mercy Medical Center — Des Moines staff members whose professional and personal standards exemplify Mercy’s Mission and Vision.
As we draw nearer to the 125th anniversary of the founding of Mercy, it is appropriate we acknowledge those who continue to exemplify the compassionate servant-hood demonstrated by the Sisters of Mercy and live up to the highest standards of service to others.
Spirit of Mercy Award Criteria
- Nominees will have completed one year or more of either full-time or part-time employment with Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines.
- Nominees may be nominated by any Mercy staff member. Download the nomination form here.
- Nominees will have made significant contributions towards serving our patients and their families by demonstrating the following core values:
- Reverence: Their professional life demonstrates fidelity to the Gospel, emphasizing human dignity and healthier communities. As Mercy is strongly committed to diversity, our Mission, values and traditions firmly embrace inclusion, acceptance and compassion. Nominees will have demonstrated this Mercy value both at work, home and within their community.
- Integrity: Nominees will have demonstrated professional and personal standards that exemplify accountability, respect, trust, ethics and honor.
- Compassion: Nominees will have demonstrated quality care, teamwork within his or her work area, collaboration with others and dedication to serving mankind with kindness, respect and dignity.
- Excellence: Nominees will have demonstrated a sincere commitment to using his or her talents and skills, offering excellence consistently.
Selection Process/ Details
Selection shall be made by the Mission Advisory Committee of Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines and affirmed by the Leadership Council.
- A points system will be used to rank the nominees and determine the individual for each Mercy core value. From these four individuals, the recipient of the overall Spirit of Mercy Award is chosen. Should the committee determine there is not an outstanding nominee for the overall award, they are not required to make the award annually.
- Each recipient will be acknowledged at the annual staff recognition dinner.
Mercy Mission: “To nurture the healing ministry of the Church, supported by education and research. Fidelity to the Gospel urges us to emphasize human dignity and social justice as we create healthier communities”