Stepping On Program
The Stepping On program is offered to build confidence and reduce falls.
Many older people have experienced a fall that has shaken their confidence and may have resulted in injury. Older people understand the threat of a fall can be a barrier to safely doing all the things they want to do at home and in the community. Preventing falls is vital to maintaining personal independence.
The Stepping On workshop meets for two hours each week for seven weeks. It costs $20 for the seven-week series.
Where: Mercy West Lakes Medical Center, 1755 59th Place, West Des Moines, IA 50266
When: Tuesdays, starting on April 24th and ending on June 5th
Cost: $20, includes a healthy snack
To register use the form below, email email@example.com or call (515) 643-8632.
Why should I be concerned about falling?
- In 2013, 84 percent of Emergency Department visits in residents aged 65 and over were fall related;
- Older Iowans die from a fall six times more often than all the other age groups combined;
- One out of every 27 Iowa residents aged 65 or older are hospitalized for a fall-related injury; and
- The average charge for a hospital visit associated with a fall for someone over age 65 is $26,388.
Who Can Best Learn From Stepping On?
- Is 65 years or over;
- Has had a fall in the past year or is fearful of falling;
- Is living in a home or apartment; and
- Is not suffering from dementia.
What Will I Learn?
- Simple and fun balance and strength training;
- The role of vision in keeping your balance;
- How medications can contribute to falls;
- Ways to stay safe when out in your community;
- What to look for in safe footwear; and
- How to check your home for safety.
Who Leads the Workshop?
The program is co-led by the program coordinator of the Better Choices, Better Health program and community expert on falls or lay leader. Local guest experts will also take part, providing information on exercise, vision, safety and medications.
What are the benefits of attending this program?
- Be more confident outside your home;
- Learn with people your own age;
- Become more aware of fall hazards and learn how your fall risk can be reduced;
- Study the most up-to-date information on fall prevention; and
- Help others by sharing what has worked for you.
CLASS REGISTRATION FORM:
Please fill out this form and click submit.