Mercy Medical Center – West Lakes
Mercy Medical Center - West Lakes located at 1755 59th Place is a 146-bed, full-service community hospital on 17 acres in West Des Moines. It is part of the Mercy Medical Center—Des Moines family, and was built as a replacement hospital for Mercy Capitol in Des Moines.
Visiting hours for most hospital units are from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Visiting hours for critical care units vary. Children may visit patients on most floors and units; however, children under age 14 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Friends and loved ones may call the switchboard at (515) 358-8000 and request to be transferred to the patient's room (callers must have the patient's first and last name), or they may call the patient's room directly. Patient room telephone numbers are (515) 358-8 plus the floor number (3, 4 or 5) and the last two digits of the room number, or (515) 358-8XXX.
Located on Level 2 near main north entrance Phone: (515) 358-8070
- Monday - Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Closed on Sundays and major holidays
Maps & Parking
Parking is free for patients and visitors in the Visitor Parking Lot. Visitors are asked not to park in the 5901 Westown Pkwy. Medical Office Building's lots. -- view larger map or print
GetWell Network in Patient Rooms
All patient rooms at Mercy West Lakes are equipped with the GetWell Network® PatientLife System™ — an Internet-based system accessed through your patient room television. The GetWell Network® enables you to watch patient education videos on demand, access the Internet, watch newly-released movies and more. The system also allows you to make comments or suggestions about the care you are receiving, access additional services and receive important alerts about your treatment plan. Visitors may also order guest trays from an abbreviated cafeteria menu to be delivered to your room. For more information, please read the patient guide in your room or speak to your nurse.
Evidence-Based Design Features
Evidence-based design provides the optimal healing environment for patients and their loved ones, and maximizes safety.
- West Lakes offers a quiet, soothing, healing atmosphere with plenty of natural light, modern designs and attractive colors and finishes.
- Spacious patient rooms are large enough to accommodate caregivers, family members and modern medical technology, plus family space in each room and comfortable family respite areas encourage the involvement of loved ones in patient care.
- The building’s wide “footprint” allows all supplies, medications, equipment and other essentials to be stored in a central core area that is immediately accessible to nursing staff, improving efficiency and patient care.
- A universal room configuration ensures patient rooms are same-handed (meaning furniture, equipment and supplies will be in the same location in each room to improve efficiency and reduce medical errors) and acuity-adjustable (meaning rooms can be adjusted to handle all levels of care to meet the changing needs of each patient).
- Patient rooms include many features to improve nursing care and patient safety — including sinks for frequent hand washing and patient care needs, patient lifts built into the ceilings and eICU® Connect service for continuous monitoring and support of intensive care patients.
- Nursing units are configured to allow improved visibility of patients from nurses’ work areas.
- Mercy Medical Center—West Lakes is the first hospital in central Iowa built to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) specifications, meaning it will be an energy-efficient, environmentally-friendly building. An application for LEED certification was submitted upon completion of construction.
- The campus also features an outdoor healing garden, green space and landscaping.