Mercy Lung Cancer Clinic
The Mercy Lung Cancer Clinic offers a multidisciplinary approach to the treatment of lung masses and lung cancer, allowing patients an opportunity to receive treatment more efficiently than ever before.
Patients make a single appointment and see multiple specialists all in one location during the same outpatient visit, eliminating extra travel time and expense and time away from their normal activities. Patient care is provided by an experienced team of providers including pulmonologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, thoracic surgeons and others from Mercy Cancer Center, CIC Associates, Iowa Heart Center, Medical Oncology & Hematology Associates, and Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines.
These providers work collectively to offer a compassionate, comprehensive consultation and an individualized treatment plan for each patient. This group of cancer specialists meets not only during the patient’s clinic visit, but also at lung cancer conferences held bi-monthly to discuss patient cases and personalize the treatment approach for challenging cases.
HOW DOES THE MERCY LUNG CANCER CLINIC IMPROVE CARE?
- Same day consultations with physicians from the multiple specialties involved in developing the plan of care.
- Mercy Lung Cancer Clinic doctors work together and with the patient and family to develop the treatment plan best suited for the patient.
- Mercy Cancer Center offers patients access to state-of-the-art cancer treatments such as the da Vinci® Surgical System for minimally invasive lung cancer resection, the CyberKnife® stereotactic radiosurgery system, and targeted medical therapies including immunotherapy treatments directed by individual tumor markers.
- The Mercy Lung Cancer Nurse Navigator helps coordinate cancer testing and treatments and helps link patients to support networks and community services.
- Easy access to the education and support services offered by Mercy Cancer Center.
- One referral by the primary care physician or office staff is all that is required to schedule a visit.
- Decreased travel for patients outside of the Des Moines metro area.
- Reduced amount of time between diagnosis and treatment.
Patients need a referral from a primary care provider to be seen at the Mercy Lung Cancer Clinic.
Preparing for your visit
The clinic is located in the Mercy Medical Plaza at 411 Laurel St., adjacent to Mercy Medical Center - Des Moines. For your convenience, free valet parking is available at the Medical Plaza, West Entrance. Free parking is also available in any of our ramps.
At the time of your appointment, you should expect:
- The intake coordinator will assist you in gathering all health records prior to your visit; this includes imaging, lab and pathology reports, and anything else that is needed.
- Your appointment could last up to 3-4 hours as your visit consists of seeing multiple providers.
- During your visit, each provider will take turns seeing you in one exam room.
- You will have access to all Cancer Center resources such as palliative care, education, nutritional counseling and more.
Please bring to the appointment:
- Photo ID
- Insurance card
- Completed Lung Cancer Clinic Patient Registration Form
- List of your previous surgeries and medical conditions
- Medication list
Get additional information by calling 1-855-218-LUNG (5864) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.